Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Thank You Swans Island!


Hey Y'all,
Wanted to give a big shout out to Swans Island for hosting a great visit when we stopped by on the way back from Port Clyde to Portland. I love the amazing blankets there. And I love the yarn, too. We had the great pleasure of using some Swans Island chunky for the improvised lace bag project Teva set us up with. I scored a couple of skeins of beautiful chartreuse wool and I just want to sit around and look at it all day.

This was my third trip now to Swans Island and I never get tired of visiting. The place has such a great history-- I've blogged about it here before. The company used to actually be on an island, but now its on the mainland. We got to check out their dyeing vats, their amazing looms, and, of course, the showroom.

I'd been thinking about a Beluga Whale stuffed toy pattern I'd seen there last year. This year I bought it. I figure if you think about a pattern for that long, better go ahead and get it. I've got a little friend with a birthday coming up soon enough and I know he's going to love it.


I also picked up the pattern for the Samuri Hat, which is so cute and is going to knit up fast and is going to be great once the temperature down here in Austin drops into the 70s (brrrrrr....)

And I took great joy watching everyone else shop. It's a special delight watching folks walk into the showroom for the first time-- the displays are arresting and you get to touch the goods.



Patty was able to find an alternative use for a ring full of sample mini-skeins. Check it out:


And here's a picture of one of the looms:


For more information about Swans Island you can check out the Swans Island website. Also they have a really fabulous blog-- fantastic photos and lots and lots of patterns.  

Thanks Swans Island folks! We sure had a terrific time. See you next fall!
Spike

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A Minute

Hi Friends! It's been a minute on the blog post aspect of things - many, many minutes. I want to jump back into it with a few things.  P...